We are moving to NYC this summer!
Nick has been affirmed as the new lead pastor of Apostles Union Square in Manhattan.
Many of you know from our letter to Veritas that in January we began to sense that Nick’s central role at Veritas was not a good fit for him. After seeking the Lord and having countless conversations with the leadership of Veritas and trusted mentors, we decided to step away from ministry at Veritas, the church the Lord led us to plant nearly nine years ago. This decision was a difficult one, and has led our family through various stages of grief. We had never really imagined ourselves in another church or city and were suddenly faced with a new reality. But because of the gracious love of the Lord, our faith has deepened through this trial and we have become more dependent on Him through it.
We first became aware of the job at Apostles Union Square in the late fall of 2017, but felt we needed to push through the conversations of Nick’s role at Veritas. Besides, moving to Manhattan with four kids—that’s completely nuts! In the following months, as it became more aware to us our time at Veritas was coming to a close, we entertained various ministry opportunities from every corner of the country. Through this process, Nick felt led to pastor a single congregation as a lead pastor, we wanted to be in an urban setting, and we wanted to be somewhere that was predominantly unchurched. The more options we explored, the more NYC became desirable to us. When we visited the church and met with its leadership in late April, we began to feel a beautiful pull to the city and the people of Apostles USQ.
Apostles is a diverse, vibrant, gospel-centered Christian community in downtown. There are many young professionals and a few young families who call the church home. We have many connections with the church and the city that have helped us feel more comfortable moving there. The church was originally planted by our friend, JR Vassar. It supported a church plant which Veritas also supported, Redeemer Leeds. Our good friends are at the Apostles Uptown, John (lead pastor) and Jena Starke. And we’ve connected with various mentors, pastors, and old friends in the city that we look forward to reuniting with once again. Lord willing, we’ll move to NYC by the end of July.
Of course, moving to Manhattan will hold many challenges for us, and for these things we ask for prayer. Please pray for:
- Our family to continue trusting the Lord and clinging to Him in what has been a trying year for us. Pray for healing, rest, and joy as we move forward in this new chapter.
- Our kids, as they leave dear friends from our neighborhood, homeschool group, and church
- Our marriage to continue to be strengthened, and for us as we move away from family and friends we dearly love
- The sale of our home to move forward (it’s in contract!) and the closing to occur in a timely fashion without obstacles
- An elementary and middle school for our children that help them to learn and thrive
- An apartment that is suitable for our family
- Substantial partnership as we will be raising prayer and financial support
- Constant reminders of God’s truth and His love for us as we begin a new chapter. Friends and family like you have been so loving and supportive thus far—we continue to need your encouragement!